1965 Denver/Monte Vista Training. Were you there? Remember Howard Higman?

Forum posting
No votes yet

I'm just sticking my toe in...curious about all those great people I trained with in Colorado. What a time that was! Who remembers the Oxford Hotel and Larimer st. in Denver (back when it was "seedy"?) Howard Higman the professor. Good times. 36 of us went off to Albuquerque NM to work with the Council of Churches...they expected 6 of us; and that was the beginning of the delightful chaos! I went off to Northern NM with about 6 others. Who remembers Norm Estes? One of my favorite people. Susie and Sandy from Michigan,went to Dixon,NM. Jan Huston, Gene Weisfeld and I went to Mora. It took my life on a very different path. How about you?

I was trained when Howard Higman had the contract in July/Aug 1969. As my group was going to Indian reservations, we went from wonderfully seedy Oxford to Durango, Co and the So Ute Reservation for the majority of our training (told nothing but 'you are going on a trip, take one med suitcase with 1 set of nice clothes and 1-2 sets work cloths, then we were gone for 4 weeks-true Howard Higman style). After graduation I went to Crow Reservation in Montana

No votes yet

I trained in the summer of 68 - at the Oxford, then down to Monte Vista (remembering the paper sleeping bags). Higman was brillant and scary and although I really hated some of training, it was probably the best experience I ever had in terms of preparing me for VISTA work - and future community organizing. Our group was being trained to be planners at CAP's - I ended up in Grand Junction Colorado

No votes yet