1967 Training at ASU in Tempe, Az. "The Haigler Hilton"

Forum posting
No votes yet

Anyone out there from the '67 training group at ASU in Tempe? We lived in the luxurious "Haigler Hilton" aka the old football stadium bleechers. We spent most of our time at the Maricopa Colonies on the Pima reservation. We trained in various skills, from building repair, farming and irrigation, to killing your own chicken to cook for lunch. All to prepare us for life on an indian reservation where we all were to serve. I ended up on the Fort Peck res. in northern Montana.

Your comment brought back memories of staying at the "Hilton." I arrived in January of 1967 and did the same training as you described on the Pima reservation. I spent my VISTA time on the San Carlos Reservation (Apache) and had great memories. I still have my green alumni book they gave us after training giving backgrounds of all the VISTAS we trained with. One of the trainers, Peterson Zah, later became head of the Navajo Nation.

No votes yet

Yea we were there too. I met my wife there and we were married 6 months later @ Maricopa colony on the Gila river reservation(not Pima as mentioned). I was stationed there, and was the farm manager for MITAS, and MICA coops. And later served as the same under the ICAP program developed by Dr. Parker @ ASU, who was also the director of VISTA training @ ASU. Yes we lived in the Haigler Hilton too. We started training IN April of 1967.

No votes yet