1969 Trained at Univ of Ore./served So. Central LA

Forum posting
No votes yet

Did any of you on this site train at University of Oregon in 1969? I served in South Central Los Angeles at Avalon-Carver Community Center in South Central LA from 1969-1970. I would love to hear from you. Paula Hollowell

I too trained at U of OR in the summer of 69 before deploying to Alaska in July. I must say it was about the dumbest, and most dangerous, "training" I have ever undertaken, though the followup at the U of Alaska Fairbanks was excellent.

No votes yet

Hi Edward,

Yes, it was an odd experience, the training. Do you remember those who were "de-selected"? It was strange, getting up in the morning to find that someone had been sent home. Our experience on the field trips (little money in the pocket, had to fend for yourself for three days...) brought us into one situation that had potential for real danger--a guy who ran a migrant camp, with a big rifle. Remember how we were supposed to find the answers to questions out there during those three days?

Do you remember Pru Popink? She was a trainer who landed in the Bay Area, where I eventually came for graduate school in Social Work at Berkeley. I believe she died of breast cancer quite a while back, but she was in the media with cancer awareness work before that. A sweet person, as I recall, and a nice trainer.....ah, the joys of role playing! I also liked Dave Trainer (Traynor?) as a teacher.

What did you do during and after VISTA?

Best,

Paula Hollowell

No votes yet

Hi David,

You must have been there when our group arrived: Joe Gmuca, Randy, Polly Jo Hightower, and I.

Do you remember Mary Henry at the Community Center? She was a real dynamo.
What did you do there, and what do you do after?

Best,

Paula Hollowell

No votes yet

Hi Linda,

What did you do in your placement with VISTA, and after? I'm afraid I don't remember all who were there at training, but if we had a reunion, I'm sure it would all come back to me!

Best,

Paula Hollowell

No votes yet

I trained at the U of O in 1969 in one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I was placed with drug dealing alcoholics who were to teach me what poverty was all about. I learned a lot more than I expected, to tell the truth. Then I was sent to southern Arizona to work with migrants. Now that I think of it, the surreal part of the training was the most useful.

No votes yet