Title: Vice President, Sales
Reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
Location: Stamford, New York, Chicago, Detroit, or Oakland
Who We Are:
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement.
In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 28 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.2 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line. Moreover, 98% of buildOn students graduate high school, and most go on to college.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1,500 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.6 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 200,000 attend buildOn schools every day. At least, 50% of these buildOn students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.6 million volunteer work days to building their schools.
We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Who We Want:
We're looking for a Vice President of Sales with a deep understanding of the leadership development landscape. This executive-level role is ideal for a purpose-driven entrepreneurial leader who is passionate about buildOn’s mission and motivated to build a team of like-minded people. As a high-impact contributor, you’d have the opportunity to recruit and train a team focused on fundraising utilizing buildOn’s Constructive LeadershipⓇ model. You will focus on building exceptional donor relationships and developing new business from strategy to execution across the U.S. As the Vice President of Sales, you will be responsible for developing a portfolio of donors and building key partner relationships; negotiating and closing deals.
Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, the ideal candidate will bring a proven sales background in selling leadership development programs. A successful candidate must possess a strong track record of never giving up on mission and getting result.
What is Constructive Leadership:
buildOn believes in a new path to leadership. It starts with leaders who are made by hope and courage, who put serve over self. buildOn is forging this path and inviting others who think like them to join the movement. Constructive Leaders are built, not born. They act in a way that builds others up. They build teams, companies, communities. Constructive Leadership starts with a foundation of solidarity that comes from putting people first. Constructive Leadership is a philosophy. And buildOn is that philosophy put into practice.
Constructive Leadership will teach and empower our stakeholders to break the cycle within their companies, their schools, and their communities. We will bring people to the place where extreme poverty meets the education crisis so that we can learn to lead and serve in solidarity. And Constructive Leadership will help fund programs!
Versions of the Constructive Leadership curriculum will be tailored for specific audiences including: C-Suite/Executive, Young Professionals, College Students, and buildOn youth. Rather than approaching company foundations or Corporate Social Responsibility departments, Constructive Leadership marketing will be geared toward Learning Department budgets.
This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader who enjoys thinking creatively to expand revenue opportunities while leading a successful sales team towards measurable results. If you believe that leaders are built and not born, have a history of thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-focused culture, then buildOn would love to hear from you!
What You’ll Do:
- Innovate and develop a fundraising strategy around buildOn’s Constructive Leadership model. This is a new initiative at buildOn with tremendous revenue growth potential.
- Work with buildOn’s Regional Board members to build a portfolio of potential Constructive Leadership funders from existing donors and new prospects.
- Execute on the fundraising strategy to build the pipeline of Constructive Leadership donors.
- Recruit and develop additional sales team members to do the same in all buildOn regions.
What We Value:
We’ve identified a set of core competencies which you’ll need to thrive within the buildOn family.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: The ability to take calculated risks and see all possibilities to build something great from nothing.
- HUNTER: Identifies, cultivates, and secures donations from new prospects.
- PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATOR: Strong oral and written communicator, especially around storytelling.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING: Builds authentic mission-driven relationships with donors.
- FUNDRAISING: Closes the deal.
What You Bring:
- 7+ year track record of successful leadership development sales experience with measurable results.
- BA/BS or equivalent work experience in full life cycle sales from initial contact through closure
- Strong business acumen and professionalism, excellent presentation skills with solid communication skills both verbal and written
- High energy, results driven with a proven track record of exceeding revenue goals.
- A passion for fundraising.
- Excellent project management and organization skills with the ability to lead multiple high-priority, time-sensitive initiatives in parallel – know when to go deep and when to step back to see the bigger picture.
- Natural ability to think strategically and structurally, while serving as an inspirational and motivating leader of people – across time zones and cultures.
- Remarkable collaboration skills – working across all of ONE buildOn.
What We Offer:
We offer a competitive compensation package, including: salary commensurate with experience, generous paid time off; a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, a flexible spending account, employee assistance program, retirement plan with an employer matching plan, commuter benefits, disability as well as life insurance. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work alongside mission-driven and dedicated colleagues across the world who are committed to breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
buildOn is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive environment that drives innovation, strengthens ONE buildOn and bolsters a cultures where people truly feel valued, heard and respected. buildOn provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
To learn more about buildOn, please visit our website at www.buildOn.org
How to apply