POSITION SUMMARY: The SNAP Community Engagement Coordinator provides leadership on key strategies that support Second Harvest Heartland’s SNAP Outreach Program with the aim of increasing efficiency in application assistance. A primary area of responsibility is ongoing quality improvement of SHH SNAP Intern Program including design, monitoring and overall management of the program. This position collaborates closely with several internal departments as well as a diverse set of external partner organizations.
Partner & Client Engagement:
- Interface with current community partners including: food shelves; schools; health care providers; libraries, food distributions, meal programs, low income housing units and other nonprofits to improve and expand SNAP outreach.
- Serve as SNAP team expert on community engagement and best practices for our healthcare partnerships.
- Coordinate intern outreach and work directly with partners to troubleshoot and ensure the success of SNAP interns.
- Provide capacity to the team by making phone calls and providing customer service as needed as we continue to build and expand our community partnerships and SNAP referral streams.
- Continually identify, develop and test new opportunities for the SHH SNAP Intern program to expand SNAP application assistance.
- Refine and maintain use of a range of tools to support SNAP Outreach and application assistance work (e.g. client database, outreach materials, procedural manuals, intern training and development curriculum, etc.).
- Provide direct client assistance as needed on a walk-in basis and at sites in the community.
Intern Program Management:
Primary duties are organizing, coordinating, and planning all operational facets of intern program and its related activities which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate closely with SHH Volunteer Services staff to ensure effective recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of interns.
- Orient, train and supervise multiple cohort of interns each year ensuring they receive organizational support and performance feedback necessary to succeed.
- Be timely with communications, data compilation & reporting program outcomes internally and externally.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of public assistance programs, with particular expertise about SNAP.
- Ensure the intern program continues to support the expansion and growth of the team, especially with our healthcare work.
- Work with SNAP Outreach Specialists to guarantee that the intern program works toward Second Harvest Heartland’s overall organizational goals regarding expansion of SNAP application assistance.
- Incorporate feedback from interns and community partners in order to enhance the SNAP Family Resource Program in terms of both client outcomes and the intern experience.
- Draft internal and external program report as needed.
- Customer Service - demonstrate the ability to respond with a high degree of urgency to the needs & requests of others, internally and externally.
- Ability to build strong, constructive relationships with a diverse range of individuals and organizational partners, where common goals can be discovered, jointly shared and owned for maximum impact.
- Deal constructively with conflict and focus on the situation or behavior and not on the person by diffusing issues before conflict arises, actively promoting and gaining cooperation from others.
- Actively listen to others and demonstrate understanding of diverse points of view.
- Accurately provide and receive information and offer ideas and opinions in an articulate, professional way.
- Work on developing relationships essential to successfully reaching clients in need of SNAP application assistance
- Run reports as needed and utilize data to enhance services provided and support SNAP work
- Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities
- Maintain confidentiality of personal information of clients, employees, donors and others.
- Perform job requirements in a timely, accurate and complete manner.
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
- A combination of education and experience generally attained through a bachelor’s degree in a related field (social services, community engagement, public health) and a minimum of 1-year experience in direct client work or volunteer services.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills that promote a positive Intern experience and partner engagement
- Strong process and time management, and written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to facilitate group efforts to achieve measurable outcomes
- Flexible with ability to self-motivate and multi-task in a fast-paced, high-demand work environment
- Comfortable with culturally diverse communities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office programs
- Comfortable using database to run reports
- Management or leadership experience highly preferred
- Bilingual fluency highly desirable (English + Spanish)
- Ability to work on a computer and phone for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
- Ability to travel within the SHH service area as needed
How to apply
For complete job description and/or to apply for position, visit www.2harvest.org. Click on About Us and then Careers. Click on job title to apply.
Second Harvest Heartland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.