Title: Service Learning Program Coordinator
Report to: Program Manager, Senior Program Manager, or Program Director
(Depends on the region)
Type: Full Time/ Exempt
Location: Boston, MA
Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday; Monday-Friday outside academic year
Join the movement!
Who We Are
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement.
In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.2 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line. Moreover, 98% of buildOn students graduate high school, and most go on to college.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1500 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.6 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 200,000 attend buildOn schools every day. At least, 50% of these buildOn students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.6 million volunteer work days to building their schools.
We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Who We Want
buildOn seeks an experienced and committed Service Learning Program Coordinator. The Service Learning Program Coordinator leads all activities of buildOn’s Service Learning Program at one partner high school to achieve the buildOn mission of breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education. This is measured by KPI targets which ensure we are driving student outcomes. In doing so, the Service Learning Program Coordinator partners closely with student leaders, buildOn staff, school personnel and local community partners to develop excellent service opportunities for students. Program activities are conducted in partnership with students and not for students in order to foster the development of constructive leaders. Constructive Leadership inspires solidarity and unleashes inner our courage, grit, empathy and passion for the possible and it can only be ignited through service!
The Service Learning Program Coordinator works closely with colleagues to plan and execute regional program events. The Service Learning Program Coordinator also leads recruitment and support of students for Immersions (Trek, 36 Hours, and Partnership program) as well as special events, and fund development opportunities in collaboration with other departments.
This is a great opportunity for a mission-driven team player who enjoys working with people and overseeing programs. If you have a history of leading successful teams with measurable results, then join buildOn as we continue to grow and change the world!
What You’ll Do
- In partnership with stakeholders (students, school staff, community partners, etc.), plan and facilitate quality IPARD Service Learning through buildOn’s engagement strategies (i.e. Weekend/Holiday projects, In-class lessons, Ongoing/After-school projects, etc.) to drive student outcomes at partner school(s).
- Plan, recruit, and work directly with students to lead quality IPARD Service Learning through buildOn’s engagement strategies.
- Ensure quality of U.S. program delivery at one school. Quality of programming includes:
- Constructive Leadership: Foster student-driven programming which allows each student to develop as a constructive leader. Constructive Leadership inspires solidarity and unleashes inner courage, grit, empathy and passion for the possible and it can only be ignited through service!
- IPARD Service Learning Model: Ensure that service in 80% of student engagement by using the modified service learning model to maximize outcomes
- As the face of the program, build authentic relationships with students in order to engage the maximum number of students at the school.
- Develop the buildOn movement by achieving Key Performance Indicators with goals outlined below.
300 Student Program
- Engagement = 300 students Directly responsible for 210 students
- Service Goal = 975 hrs @ 300 Directly responsible for 682 hrs
- Education: 225 hrs
Directly responsible for 157 hrs
150 Student Program
- Engagement = 150 students
- Service Goal = 488 hrs
- Education: 113 hrs
***Service Learning Program Coordinators at 150-student programs are responsible for 100% of student engagement
- Input accurate and complete data on time through Salesforce.
- Establish, develop, and maintain strategic partnerships with school advisors, administrators, faculty, support staff, parents and local community partners.
- Work closely with manager to ensure adequate student recruitment and support through the entire Trek process as well as the completion of Trek presentations upon return (Demonstration)
- Lead and support the planning and execution of all regional events, including Service Kick Off, Citywide Service, Celebrate buildOn!, and other large-scale events.
- Lead recruitment of students to participate in Immersion Experiences (36 Hours, Partnership Program, etc.) and support the Program Manager and Immersion Coordinator with planning and execution.
- Support collaboration with other departments, such as Development, Marketing, Global, Finance, and HR to meet organizational goals, such as fund development and elevating student voice, to work as ONE buildOn.
- Track personal expense requests, manage any petty cash and receipts and ensure submitted to Program Manager on time.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager. These could include, but are not limited to; support other programs with large scale events, supporting school events such as parent-teacher conferences, summer bridge, freshman orientation, creating in-house service calendars, flyers, and curriculums, etc.
What You Bring
- Personal commitment to buildOn’s mission – the power of service to change lives, communities, and the world
- buildOn Alumni preferred (indicate buildOn Alumni status in the application, if applicable)
- Committed to buildOn’s core values of empowerment, responsibility, and compassion
- Belief in the power of students to develop as Constructive Leaders through service
- Extensive experience living and/or working in underserved communities
- Extensive experience leading and/or participating in service-learning (1-2 years)
- Experience working in mission-centered nonprofit programs
- Track record of professional and personal achievement
- Invested in continual growth and learning through ongoing discovery, planning and execution, and reflection
- Excellent skills to build relationships with students, school faculty and staff, and community partners
- Organized and disciplined with time to effectively accomplish multiple projects simultaneously
- Exceptional communicator
- Driven to achieve goals
- Excel to adapt in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- Functional knowledge of regional school district(s) and educational and nonprofit landscape
- Relevant educational background (Bachelor’s degree required)
What We Value
We’ve identified a set of core competencies which you’ll need to thrive within the buildOn family.
- KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATOR FOCUS: Intense drive to deliver results.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING: Initiates and cultivates authentic, mission-driven relationships with students and all stakeholders.
- PLANNING & EXECUTION: Proactively manages multiple projects simultaneously to achieve collective objectives with strong time management and organizational skills.
- LEADERSHIP: Takes a hands-on approach and operates with high integrity, humility, and eagerness to grow.
- IMMERSION: Embraces and delivers high quality Immersions consistent with IPARD methodology.
What We Offer
We offer a competitive compensation package, including: salary commensurate with experience, generous paid time off; a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, a flexible spending account, employee assistance program, retirement plan with an employer matching plan, commuter benefits, disability as well as life insurance. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work alongside mission-driven and dedicated colleagues across the world who are committed to breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education.
Please send a resume and compelling cover letter
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
buildOn is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive environment that drives innovation, strengthens ONE buildOn and bolsters a cultures where people truly feel valued, heard and respected. buildOn provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
To learn more about buildOn, please visit our website
How to apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to BOjobs@buildon.org