Title: Vice President of Development, West Coast
Reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
Location: Oakland, CA
Who We Are:
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service-learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 28 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.3 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1600 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 220,827 children, parents and grandparents attend these school every day and at least, 50% of these buildOn students are girls or women. Community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.9 million volunteer work days to building their schools.is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education.
We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Who We Want:
buildOn seeks a dynamic fundraising professional to strategically architect and drive all West Coast (primarily San Francisco, Oakland & Bay Area) fundraising efforts, with a specific emphasis on major gifts from individuals and corporations. You will focus on fundraising around buildOn’s unique Constructive Leadership platform which is the cornerstone for all buildOn Immersion Platform.
The ideal candidate is a revenue focused visionary with measurable results in development that is passionate about buildOn’s mission. As the Vice President of Development, you will work to transform investors from passive philanthropists into active partners while leading innovative fundraising campaigns. You will be an integral part of the development leadership team, leading and engaging smart strategic partnerships that will help support buildOn's aggressive fundraising targets. As the Vice President of Development, you will activate and engage our regional board, whose focus is fundraising and building awareness in the Bay Area.
The ideal candidate will be an entrepreneurial yet process-oriented fundraiser who enjoys thinking creatively to expand revenue opportunities. You must have the interpersonal and communications skills necessary to capture and represent buildOn's unique voice and business model. If you have a strong track record of never giving up on mission and getting results, then buildOn is the right place for you!
What You’ll Do:
- Expand major gifts with the greatest focus on funding for buildOn U.S. through Constructive Leadership and our Immersion Platform.
- Recruit executive level business leaders to join the West Coast regional board with specific emphasis on new, relevant industries where there is authentic mission overlap and fundraising capability.
- Create a pipeline of major gift prospects from individuals and corporations through targeted outreach and leveraging the regional board.
- Partner with Marketing to engage more corporations in the buildOn Journey from awareness to advocacy with a strong focus on buildOn’s Immersion Platforms.
- Develop a pipeline of major gift prospects in the Bay Area.
- Develop and implement strategies for fundraising that will grow annual major gift revenue from individuals.
- Solicit all board members to give personally and fundraise on behalf of buildOn. Work with the Chief Revenue Officer to cultivate new board members.
- Work collaboratively with other program areas to achieve fundraising goals.
- Leverage Constructive Leadership to fundraise around buildOn’s Immersion Platforms: Partnership Program, 36 Hours, and Trek.
- Convert major event sponsors into full partners and advocates for buildOn U.S. through the buildOn Immersion Platforms.
- Target professional networks, diversity and inclusion groups as a unique point of entry for new prospects.
What We Value:
We’ve identified a set of core competencies which you’ll need to thrive within the buildOn family.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: The ability to take calculated risks and see all possibilities to build something great from nothing.
- HUNTER: Identifies, cultivates, and secures donations from new prospects.
- PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATOR: Strong oral and written communicator, especially around storytelling.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING: Builds authentic mission-driven relationships with donors.
- FUNDRAISING: Closes the deal.
What You Bring:
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources).
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing major donor relationships over time.
- Experience managing budgets, revenue streams, and revenue playbook.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Strong organizational skills and a flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- High energy and passion for buildOn’s mission is essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Extensive knowledge of the San Francisco/Oakland and Bay Area philanthropic community and ability to seek out and engage new prospects.
What We Offer:
We offer a competitive compensation package, including: salary commensurate with experience, generous paid time off; a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, a flexible spending account, employee assistance program, retirement plan with an employer matching plan, commuter benefits, disability as well as life insurance. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work alongside mission-driven and dedicated colleagues across the world who are committed to breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education.
Please send a resume and cover letter to DevelopmentJobs@buildon.org
buildOn is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive environment that drives innovation, strengthens ONE buildOn and bolsters a culture where people truly feel valued, heard and respected. buildOn provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
To learn more about buildOn, please visit our website at www.buildOn.org
How to apply
Submit Resume and COver Letter to DevelopmentJobs@buildon.org