Title: Development Director, Boston
Reports to: Vice President of Development, East Coast
Location: Boston, MA
Who We Are:
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service-learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 29 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.6 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1600 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 220,827 children, parents and grandparents attend these school every day and at least, 50% of these buildOn students are girls or women. Community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.9 million volunteers’ workdays to building their schools.is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education.
We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Who We Want:
buildOn seeks a dynamic fundraising professional to strategically drive Boston’s fundraising efforts. As the Development Director, Boston, you will work to transform investors from passive philanthropists to active partners, lead innovative fundraising campaigns to increase revenue, and support our efforts in developing a culture of learning and boundary-spanning as part of ONE buildOn. The ideal candidate is a visionary with measurable results who can create a sense of urgency with our partners and potential partners to fully fund all buildOn Boston programs.
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, East Coast, you will be an integral part in engaging strategic partnerships that will help achieve buildOn's fundraising goals. The Development Director must have the ability to articulate buildOn's mission to new and current donors by working closely with the program team. This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial yet process-oriented professional who enjoys thinking creatively to expand revenue opportunities and build a robust pipeline of donors. If you have a history of leading successful fundraising campaigns in Boston with measurable results, then buildOn is the right place for you!
What You’ll Do:
· Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals, corporations & foundations.
- Strategically create a pipeline of major gift prospects through targeted outreach, leveraging the Boston Board and other networks.
- Develop strategies to initiate and meet Boston fundraising goals through Board development; assuming the responsibility to recruit, train and support board members with recommending and researching potential new major donor’s members.
· Work collaboratively with Boston’s buildOn U.S. Program team to advance fundraising goals.
- Partner with Marketing to engage more corporations in the buildOn Journey from awareness to advocacy with a strong focus on the buildOn’s Partnership Program, 36 Hours, and buildOn Treks.
- Convert event sponsors into major donors and advocates for buildOn U.S. through buildOn’s Immersion Experiences.
● Develop a pipeline of major gift prospects in Boston.
● Develop and implement strategies for fundraising that will grow annual major gift revenue from individuals.
● Work collaboratively with other program areas to achieve fundraising goals.
● Leverage buildOn’s Immersion Platforms: Partnership Program and 36 Hours to directly fund buildOn in Boston.
● Target professional networks, diversity and inclusion groups as a unique point of entry for new prospects.
- Work with the Director of Special Events to plan and execute an annual fundraising event.
- Focus on revenue generation for the tevent.
- Engage and develop Boston Board members whose focus is awareness and fundraising in NYCT regions.
· Work with the Vice President East Coast and Chief Revenue Officer to identify and cultivate new Boston board members.
What We Value:
We’ve identified a set of core competencies which you’ll need to thrive within the buildOn family.
● ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: The ability to take calculated risks and see all possibilities to build something great from nothing.
● HUNTER: Identifies, cultivates, and secures donations from new prospects.
● PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATOR: Strong oral and written communicator, especially around storytelling.
● RELATIONSHIP BUILDING: Builds authentic mission-driven relationships with donors.
● FUNDRAISING: Closes the deal.
What You’ll Learn:
As part of your professional development at buildOn you will learn how to become a Constructive Leader. Constructive Leadership is a method of building leaders that inspires solidarity and unleashes our courage, resilience, empathy, and passion for the possible. And Constructive Leadership is only ignited through service. Constructive Leadership is how we built this organization and what we’ve learned by working at ground zero of extreme poverty and the drop out crisis for more than 29 years.
What You Bring:
· Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values.
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or non-profit management experience and CFRE preferred.
· 3-5 years of fundraising and/or direct sales experience with a proven track record in closing gifts, event planning, and building relationships preferred.
· A successful track record in cultivating relationships with mid-level gift donors and corporations.
· High-level experience working with fundraising and young professional boards is a plus.
· Extensive knowledge of the Boston philanthropic community and ability to seek out and engage new prospects.
· Excellent communication skills and follow through.
· Ability to track all communications and donor activity in a (CRM) program, specifically Salesforce for non-profits.
What We Offer:
We offer a competitive compensation package, including salary commensurate with experience, generous paid time off; a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, a flexible spending account, employee assistance program, retirement plan with an employer matching plan, commuter benefits, disability as well as life insurance. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work alongside mission-driven and dedicated colleagues across the world who are committed to breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education
How to apply
Please send a resume and a compelling cover letter to DevelopmentJobs@buildon.org