Title: Service Learning Program Manager
Report to: Program Director, New York
Type: Full Time/ Exempt
Location: New York, NY
Schedule: Monday-Friday with at least one Saturday per month during school year
Join the movement!
Who We Are
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement.
In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.2 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line. Moreover, 98% of buildOn students graduate high school, and most go on to college.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1500 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.6 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 200,000 attend buildOn schools every day. At least, 50% of these buildOn students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.6 million volunteer work days to building their schools.
We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Who We Want
buildOn seeks an experienced and committed Service Learning Program Manager to manage and directly lead activities of buildOn’s Service Learning Program at one partner high school. The goal is to achieve the buildOn mission of breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education. This is measured by KPI targets which ensure we are driving student outcomes. In doing so, the Service Learning Program Manager directly manages a Service Learning Program Coordinator and works very closely with team members and students to implement the buildOn program at a partner a high school. This role is a combination of directly engaging students in programming and supervising one staff member. Program activities are conducted in partnership with students and not for students in order to foster the development of constructive leaders. Constructive Leadership inspires solidarity and unleashes inner our courage, grit, empathy and passion for the possible and it can only be ignited through service!
Reporting to the Program Director of a region, the Service Learning Program Manager will be a key leader of the U.S. program team. S/he must be a strategic and mission-driven leader with the ability to effectively balance a strong vision and commitment to methodology. The Service Learning Program Manager partners closely with school administrators and faculty, as well as community partners to develop excellent service opportunities with students. The Service Learning Program Manager works closely with colleagues to plan and execute regional program events. Additionally, the Service Learning Program Manager oversees and leads recruitment and support of students for Immersions (Trek, 36 Hours, and Partnership program) as well as special events, and fund development opportunities in collaboration with other departments.
This is a great opportunity for a mission-driven leader who enjoys working with people and overseeing programs. If you have a history of leading successful teams with measurable results, then join buildOn as we continue to grow and change the world!
What You’ll Do
● In partnership with stakeholders (students, school staff, community partners, etc.), plan and facilitate quality IPARD Service Learning through buildOn’s engagement strategies (i.e. Weekend/Holiday projects, In-class lessons, Ongoing/After-school projects, etc.) to drive student outcomes at partner school(s).
○ Plan, recruit, and work directly with students to lead quality IPARD Service Learning through buildOn’s engagement strategies. The Program Manager is directly responsible for 30% of the goals at a 300/student program.
● Directly manage one (1) staff person including weekly check-ins, performance evaluation process, conducting monthly IPARD evaluations, core competency assessments as well as ongoing coaching and support.
● Develop the buildOn movement by achieving Key Performance Indicator Targets
○ Student Engagement = 300 students
○ Service Goal = 975 hrs @ 300
Service is 80% of student engagement
· % Direct (Service): 70%
o Education: 225 hrs @ 300
Education is 20% of student engagement
· Ensure quality of U.S. program delivery at one school. Quality of programming includes:
o Constructive Leadership: Foster student-driven programming which allows each student to develop as a constructive leader. Constructive Leadership inspires solidarity and unleashes inner courage, grit, empathy and passion for the possible and it can only be ignited through service!
o IPARD Service Learning Model: Ensure that service in 80% of student engagement by using the modified service learning model to maximize outcomes
● Support hiring processes to recruit and vet passionate, persistent, and talented individuals to join the buildOn team.
● Support collaboration with other departments, such as Development, Marketing, Global, Finance, and HR to meet organizational goals, such as fund development and elevating student voice, to work as ONE buildOn.
● Input accurate and complete data on-time through Salesforce.
● Establish, develop and maintain strategic partnerships with school advisors, administrators, faculty, students, parents and support staff, and local community partners.
● Lead Immersions
○ Communicate and collaborate with the Immersion Department to execute IPARD service plan and lead school-related logistics.
○ Immersion (36 and Partnership) responsibility includes working with Program Coordinator to ensure adequate student recruitment as well as powerful local and direct service
● Act as Trek Lead at your school to ensure the successful participation of students in Trek. Responsibilities include:
○ Working closely with regional Trek Manager to attain approvals for Trek from school administration ensure timely correspondence regarding all Trek matters (Trek country and date selection, student recruitment and selection, any necessary travel approvals, and follow up on any Trek-related issues)
○ Supervise Service Learning Program Coordinator to ensure adequate student recruitment and support through the entire Trek process as well as the completion of Trek presentations upon return (Demonstration)
● Lead and support the planning and execution of all regional events, including Service Kick Off, Regional Service Projects, and other large-scale events.
● Manage the budget, including monthly account reconciliation, expense reporting, receipt collection and ongoing tracking.
● Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
What You Bring
● Personal commitment to buildOn’s mission – the power of service to change lives, communities, and the world
● Committed to buildOn’s core values of empowerment, responsibility, and compassion
● Belief in the power of students to develop as Constructive Leaders through service
● Extensive experience leading and participating in service-learning (2-4 years)
● Proven record of effective nonprofit program management, including but not limited to achieving high-quality results and managing staff performance (1-2 years)
● Excellent skills to build relationships with staff, students, school administrators and faculty, and community partners
● Recognize the benefit of connecting people through immersive experiences to break down barriers and grow as constructive leaders
● Organized and disciplined with time to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
● Strong communicator
● Driven to achieve goals
● Excel to adapt in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
● Functional knowledge of regional school district(s) and educational and nonprofit landscape
● Extensive experience living and/or working in underserved communities
● Relevant educational background (Bachelor’s degree required)
What We Value
We’ve identified a set of core competencies which you’ll need to thrive within the buildOn family.
· KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATOR FOCUS: Intense drive to deliver results.
· RELATIONSHIP BUILDING: Initiates and cultivates authentic, mission-driven relationships with students and all stakeholders.
· PLANNING & EXECUTION: Proactively manages multiple projects simultaneously to achieve collective objectives with strong time management and organizational skills.
· LEADERSHIP: Takes a hands-on approach and operates with high integrity, humility, and eagerness to grow.
· IMMERSION: Embraces and delivers high-quality Immersions consistent with IPARD methodology.
What We Offer
We offer a competitive compensation package, including salary commensurate with experience, generous paid time off; a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision insurance, a flexible spending account, employee assistance program, retirement plan with an employer matching plan, commuter benefits, disability as well as life insurance. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work alongside mission-driven and dedicated colleagues across the world who are committed to breaking the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations through service and education.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
buildOn is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive environment that drives innovation, strengthens ONE buildOn and bolsters a cultures where people truly feel valued, heard and respected. buildOn provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
To learn more about buildOn, please visit our website at www.buildOn.org
How to apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to NYjobs@buildon.org