The Immigrant Justice Community Organizer will work with the other organizers and D.C. Area Director to develop and inspire community leadership and activism related to economic, racial, and social justice; build partnerships; and design and implement immigrant justice organizing campaigns.
- Run and win campaigns to move a pro-immigrant, pro-AAPI, and pro-worker agenda at the local and state levels. Coordinate with NAKASEC national to move inclusive policies at the federal level.
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to recruit, sustain and actively involve DACAmented and undocumented Asian Americans in Virginia in NAKASEC VA’s campaigns, including immigrant justice and health care access.
- Build a committee with members to exercise leadership, grow, learn, and lead organizing and civic engagement campaigns.
- Mobilize and prepare community members to organize and/or participate in actions, legislative meetings, and other activities.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate regular workshops, political education sessions, and other gatherings (virtual and when safe, in-person).
- Engage AAPI organizations across the state.
- Represent NAKASEC VA at meetings, forums, and public speaking engagements.
- Stay informed of key immigrant justice issues affecting AAPIs and immigrants in Northern Virginia.
- Develop community education resources in Korean as needed.
- Track and implement base building and leadership development goals.
- Provide information for grant submission and reporting as needed.
- Build and maintain relationships with other immigrant justice community organizations in Virginia.
Service Provision (10%)
- Provide support with immigration related applications.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team, including promoting and recruiting NAKASEC VA membership in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Bilingual in English and Korean (spoken). Plus if can read/write Korean fluently.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience building relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Open to learning and trying new experiences.
- Ability to work well with others or in a team.
- Ability to analyze, synthesize, and communicate different kinds of information so that it is useful to people with various learning styles, backgrounds, and life experiences.
- Knowledge of the issues affecting low-income or communities in Northern Virginia and of the Northern Virginia and statewide political landscape a plus.
- Self-motivated and able to develop and move projects forward.
- Create, track and meet deadlines, as well as organizing workplans.
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings.
- Plus: 1-2 years of community organizing experience with tangible results.
- Driver’s license and access to car.
Location: Annandale, VA
Job Type: full-time
Salary & Benefits: $40K (negotiable), commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance
How to apply
Email your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Immigrant Justice Community Organizer” by 11:59 PM, August 5, 2020.
Supplementary: submit up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.