Catholic Charities is one of the largest, most comprehensive human services agencies in Northern California, reaching more than 32,000 individuals a year in San Francisco, San Mateo, and Marin counties. We tackle some of the most pressing challenges in our community – homelessness, generational poverty, inequality, aging in isolation, HIV-AIDS, and immigration to name a few – with determination, expertise, and collaborative problem-solving with those we serve. As an integral part of our communities, we work to keep our neighborhoods diverse, productive, safe, and healthy through our more than 30 programs, comprehensive services, and social justice advocacy. We bolster our neighbors – single mothers, adults and families experiencing homelessness, adults with disabilities, seniors, children and youth, people living with HIV/AIDS, and immigrants – when they need help, solutions, and hope. We are compassionate caregivers, ardent advocates, and champions of those in need. If you are eager to have a substantive impact on the lives of others and the health of our community, apply here. Join us as we change lives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observe and report any changes in clients’ health status to the RN on an ongoing basis.
- Provide assistance with activities of daily living (i.e., bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, skin care).
- Perform light housekeeping, shopping or errands for the clients when needed.
- Accompany clients to medical appointments when necessary.
- Assist with clients feeding, meal preparation and clean up.
- Assist residents with self-administered medications.
- Check vital signs as required.
- Assist in emergency medical situations.
- Maintain supply areas in good order.
- Daily charting and filing.
- Maintain the supply of all forms.
- Read communication log daily.
- Check personal box daily.
- Attend and participate in case conferences and staff meetings.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Council on Accreditation (COA) Roles
Select the one or more of the following Council on Accreditation (COA) roles:
- Is responsible for accurate and timely data entry that aids Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) reporting and case record reviews.
- Is responsible for accurate and timely submission of case records.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Educational requirements include equivalent to a high school diploma and certification in California as a Certified Nursing Assistant. Some work experience after gaining CNA certification is desirable, as in experience in working with the specific residential population to be served.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Ongoing continuing education to maintain certification, as outlined by Nursing Assistant Certification Section of Department of Health Services.
- Experience with HIV, mental health, and/or substance abuse populations preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Skills include sensitivity to the resident population, including the ability to listen actively and assess medical conditions.
- Crisis intervention and management.
- Basic de-escalation techniques.
- Skills in understanding and following oral and written directions and in working cooperatively in a team environment; and sufficient written communication skill to maintain patient charts and files.
- Demonstrates the necessary attitudes, knowledge and skills to deliver culturally competent services and work effectively in cross-cultural situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent bending, standing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, twisting, and walking.
- Frequent lifting, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional repetitive motions: Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned.
- Driving is not required for this position.
If driving a car is required for the position, incumbent must have a valid California driver's license and be able to provide proof of DMV record and personal insurance (if required.)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, legal domicile status, veteran status, disability or AIDS/HIV status or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Department or Program: Peter Claver Community
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Union status: Union
Fingerprinting clearance: Required
TB Screening: Required
First Aid Certificate: Standard First Aid required
How to apply