The Community Organizer at NAKASEC Virginia will lead in designing and implementing immigrant justice organizing campaigns with impacted community members and allies to create systemic change at the local and state level. This position will also engage with NAKASEC National and the other affiliates to design and implement national organizing campaigns as appropriate.
- Build relationships with undocumented Asian Americans to get involved in organizing campaigns through timely and in-depth one-on-one conversations (physically distanced/virtual during COVID-19 pandemic)
- Organize and maintain immigrant justice committee
- Support impacted community members’ involvement and leadership to develop and implement immigrant justice organizing campaigns (that include but not limited to outreach, political education, actions, legislative actions, etc.) to win changes in policies, programs, and/or public conversation
- Coordinate with NAKASEC National to move inclusive policies at the federal level
- Set up political education sessions, skills trainings, and other needed leadership development opportunities
- Ensure that actions, legislative meetings, trainings, etc. run smoothly and can be accessible to interested community members
- Represent and facilitate community members in representing NAKASEC VA when necessary before the media, legislative bodies and legislators, community meetings, coalitions, and funders
- Interpret in Korean for community members when necessary to facilitate their involvement in organizing campaigns
- Create actions, trainings, and mobilization opportunities to activate immigrant Asian Americans in Virginian and a diverse range of other stakeholders and allies
- Build and maintain relationships with immigrant justice and Asian American community organizations in Virginia
- Stay abreast of latest policy and political developments affecting Asian American immigrants at the local, state, and national level to identify opportunities to move organizing goals forward
- Represent NAKASEC VA at relevant coalitions
- Speak publicly on behalf of NAKASEC VA
- Provide information for grant submission and reporting, as well as do data entry.
Service Provision (10%)
- Provide support with DACA renewal applications
- Refer internally to NAKASEC VA’s community services program and/or refer externally for needed services as needed
- Develop community education resources in Korean
- Understand and promote NAKASEC VA membership and services
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team, including promoting and recruiting NAKASEC VA membership in the community
- Carefully track time and communications to ensure appropriate assignment to c3 or c4, direct and grassroots lobbying, and electioneering
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together
- Must be orally fluent in English and Korean. Plus if can read/write Korean fluently
- Enjoy getting to know people’s histories and challenges. You can focus on their strengths and motivations to create change
- Can recognize vulnerability – both in yourself and others – so that you can connect with others authentically. Show compassion for yourself and others when under stress
- Able to communicate your thoughts and opinions with peers in a way that is supportive and constructive
- Open to hearing and learning from constructive feedback and direction
- Can anticipate what needs to get done and does it or can communicate a plan on how to do it (and what resources are needed to do it)
- Able to analyze and synthesize different kinds of information and change plans accordingly instead of being overly fixated on carrying out the original plan
- Able to prioritize, stay on top of deadlines, and set boundaries so that you can focus on each project with clarity and a feeling of accomplishment
- Able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. You will find ways to feel restored and fueled throughout the day and the week, so you can best contribute to our organizational goals and mission
- Live in Northern Virginia
- Driver’s license and access to car. Must be comfortable driving passengers in a van and/or driving community members in personal vehicle from time to time
- A minimum 2-year commitment to the job
- Plus: 1-2 years of community organizing experience with tangible result
- Plus: a personal connection to immigrant justice in Asian American communities.
Location: Annandale, VA
Job Type: full-time
Reports to: Director
Salary & Benefits: $42K (negotiable), commensurate with experience and full health, dental, and vision insurance. There is also paid time off, vacation, sick days (if you, a partner, a family member are sick), and other leave time customized to your unique circumstances. We close between December 25 and January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, VA, Chicago, IL, Los Angeles/Orange County, CA, and Montgomery County, PA. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC Virginia organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
NAKASEC VA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
How to apply
Email your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Community Organizer” by 11:59 PM, May 21, 2021.
Supplementary: submit up to two paragraphs as to why this position interests you.